The key to identifying sources of information and fast circulation of knowledge can be traced to a well-equipped information center and library. The welcoming appearance of the library plays an important role in information management. We have to always remember: “Library is the place where people, one frequently finds, lower their voice and raise their minds.”
With this objective in mind, the college library humbly started functioning in a single room in the main block along with the classrooms. The library had its own separate building in 2006 constructed with grants from the UGC. The main function of the library is to serve and meet the academic needs and requirements of students, teachers, and to some extent non-teaching staff.
The plinth area of the library is around 2100 sq ft. It is divided into different sections and areas such as
- General and reference section area
- Stack area
- Staff area
- Reading room for teachers
- Reading room for students
The library is manned by a Librarian. He is assisted by one library asst, one LDC, one library attendant and one Xerox operator cum peon.
Librarian- Oversee the overall works and functioning of the library, technical processing works, library automation, and all correspondences on library matters. Matters relating to college website initiation and update, the Broadband connection under NME through ICT, and any other miscellaneous duties that crop up from time to time.
- Library asst – Issue and return, accessioning, handle question papers, and helps in binding works
- LDC- Issue and return, clerical works, and miscellaneous.
- Library attendant- Dusting, cleaning, shelving, and binding
- Peon- Opening and closing of the library, Xerox
PURCHASE AND ACQUISITION
The purchase and acquisition of books, journals, and other necessary items are done in line with the decision of the library committee. For books, the list of requirements is sought from the respective departments through the HOD’s taking into consideration the needs and position of funds available. The order is then placed with publishers by the librarian.
Online purchases of books are also done.
LIBRARY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The library advisory committee comprises the following members-
- Principal- Chairman
- Librarian- Member secretary
- Four Senior Faculty- Members
Serial no 1 and 2 are permanent members by designation.
Serial no 3 can be on a rotation basis after a fixed tenure
HOLDINGS OF THE LIBRARY
The library has books under the following disciplines.
- Political Science
- Computer Science
- Sections on NE India, Bengali, and Hindi
- Environmental Studies
The library has a collection of theses showcasing the research work undertaken by the faculty members of the institution. This is to be converted into a digital repository.
- Students are allowed a maximum of two issues for a period of ten days at a time. It can be renewed only once after the expiry of the said period if further required. Late fines will be realized after the due date.
- The teaching staff is allowed a maximum of five issues during an academic year.
- An attendance register is maintained by the library for students, faculty, and staff. All are required to enter their details on each visit for statistical purposes.
- It goes without saying that the use of mobile phones is strictly prohibited in the library. It should be switched off or kept in silent mode.
- The Internet facility in the library is to use for academic and educational purposes only.
- Students are required to return the borrowed books before the commencement of semester exams. In case they fail to do so their results shall be withheld or admit cards for the ensuing exam will not be issued to them.
- The library has a collection of around 6000+ titles which includes reference books.
- Journals are subscribed to, which are multidisciplinary in nature.
- The library also provides access to e-resources through the N-LIST program.
- Internet facility is available for the students and faculty of the institution to aid assignment–based teaching.
- Newspapers, both national and local are subscribed.
- Reprography services are provided on payment of nominal charges.
- The library is fully automated.
- There is a separate reading room for the teachers/faculty.
- The facility of power backup(generator) and inverter.
- Digitised library cards are issued to all the members of the library.
- Barcoding of books is done for all the resources of the library.
Phone: 03862 – 248166